The recent YouTube cards feature is a way for you to engage your viewers while they watch your video. Today I am introducing you to these Interactive Cards, giving you some effective ways to use them and showing you how to add the Associated website YouTube card. Here’s how they work:
YouTube card teaser text appears at a predetermined time in your video along with an icon. When the teaser text disappears after few seconds the icon continues to be shown in the upper right. A viewer can click the icon at any time.
You can also view the analytics for cards under Engagement Reports in YouTube Analytics. I highly recommend that you check your YouTube Cards analytics weekly to see which cards are working best for you.
Cards are the next evolution of annotations on YouTube – they will eventually replace them. YouTube Annotations do not work on mobile and other devices but YouTube Cards do.
If you are doing YouTube video marketing, these interactive cards are a must!
Effective Ways to Use YouTube Cards
There are six types of cards to choose from:
- Associated Website (use as lead generation cards)
- Video or Playlist
- Fan Funding – (only available if you have set up monetization, have a linked AdSense account, and turn on Fan Funding)
Cards provide a call to action in your video. Cards are effective for things like
- Driving traffic to your website – you’ll need to set up an associated website.
- Opt in to your email list.
- Sell stuff.
- Promote other related videos or playlists on your youtube channel or another
- Promote another youtube channel.
- Download your giveaway ebook.
- And much more!
YouTube Cards are very simple to add to videos.
- Make sure you YouTube account is in good standing. Click here for more information.
- From the Video Manager, edit the video to which you want to add cards.
- In the top tab bar above your video, click Cards and then Add Card.
- Select Associated Website. Click here to learn how to connect an associated website to your YouTube channel.
- Enter a URL of the webpage you want to use as your call to action. The fields automatically populate and you can change any of these.
- Use the image that automatically populates from your website or upload a new one.
- Edit the title, call-to-action and teaser text to fit in the allowed character count of 50 for the title and 30 for the call-to-action and teaser.
- Click Create card when you’re ready.
Youtube Cards Timeline Adjustment
- Check the timeline just below the video. If you have multiple cards, spread them out so they don’t all appear at the same time.
- Click hold and drag the teaser card to a designated start time. It works well if you are talking about that call to action and then the teaser appears.