Confused about how to install WordPress plugins? You came to the right place. I will show you 2 ways to install plugins, which extend the functionality of WordPress.
Using plugins in WordPress helps you to customize certain functions on your website. With over 24,000 plugins available, you can customize your website in a number of ways!
What is it you need on your website? There is likely a WordPress plugin for that! Everything from SEO, contact forms, social links, polls, statistics, Google XML sitemaps, backup, sidebar widgets and too many more to list here!
Let’s get on with how to install WordPress plugins. Before you do so, think about what functionality you want to add to your WordPress website.
Do not install WordPress plugins for the heck of it! Make sure it will add value to your blog in some way.
How to Install WordPress Plugins – Automatically from WordPress Admin Panel
This is the easiest way to install WordPress plugins. Before you get started, it’s a good idea to know which plugin you want to install so you know what to look for.
Log into your WordPress website. Make sure you have Admin rights. If you are the owner, you should already have Admin rights.
- On the left-side menu, under Plugins, click Add New.
- On the Install Plugins page, type the name or keyword of the plugin you want to install and click Search Plugins.
- From the list that appears, click Install Now under the plugin you want to install.
The installation of the WordPress plugin will automatically start. You will see messages appear that indicate what is happening:
Downloading install package
Unpacking the package
Installing the plugin
Successfully installed the plugin
- Once it completes the the WordPress Plug install, click Active Plugin.
That’s it! You may have to review the setting for individual WordPress plugins and adjust as necessary. You can usually find these settings in one of the menus on the left side of the WordPress Admin panel.
How to Install WordPress Plugins – Manually via FTP Upload
Only use this method if you are an advanced user of FTP and uploading files to a website. Before you get started, go to http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ and find a WordPress plugin to give your website some cool functionality.
- When you find your best WordPress plugin to install, click the Download link. Save it to your computer hard drive.
- Locate the zipped plugin file that you downloaded and extract it.
- Using FTP (file transfer protocol) software, you will transfer the WordPress plugin folder to your WordPress website. If you are unsure how to do this or where the files are located, contact your web hosting provider.
- Navigate to the wp-content/plugins directory and upload the file.
- After you upload the plugin to the correct directory location, go to your WordPress Admin and click Plugins. The new plugin that you just uploaded will appear in the plugins list.
- Click Activate to activate the plugin.
I hope this WordPress plugin how to helped you. You can add so many cool functions and features to your WordPress website!
Tim Bonner says
Great write up. This will really help anyone who is unsure of how to load a plugin to their WordPress site.
You’re right to mention not to add plugins for the heck of it though. Too many can slow your blog down. I’m guilty of that sometimes and then have to rethink and delete some.
Lisa J says
Hey Tim! Thank you so much – Appreciate you stopping by! Right? We are all so guilty of installing tons of plugins and then forgetting about them.
Have an awesome day!
Dragan Palla says
This is a very useful tutorial and reminder how to install the plugin(s). I see no challenges because it’s very easy to do it. One of my favorite plugins is Scribe SEO for WordPress.
Nice tutorial Lisa.
Lisa J says
Thanks! I love Scribe too. Great minds think alike!
Appreciate your contribution here!
Wallace R says
Hello Lisa, This is a great write up on how to install plugins in WP. I’ve actually never tried to install a plugin via FTP or even thought about it. I am going to actually give it a try on one of my sites 🙂